Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Introduction

I want this blog to be a journal of my journey to self-employment. I got accepted into the Self-Employment Program for People with Disabilities through the BC Ministry of Employment and Income Assistance in the summer of 2005. It took a while to get my file underway as very few people have signed up for the program in this area.

Attending the local business startup classes in person was a problem for me so I was stalled again for a little while, not to mention I was committed to a lot of volunteer and family activities during the fall. By November I was getting pretty burned out and the weekend of my daughter's wedding on November 26, I came down with a huge dose of strep throat/pneumonia. It took most of December and January to recover from that and my energy levels are still very low.

Meanwhile, in one of the many email newsletters that I receive I found a link for the Business Abilities Website and checked it out. It seemed ideal for my situation so I applied and got the necessary approvals in place. I started the online Entrepreneurial Training for Persons With Disabilities course at the beginning of February.

The first week, as I was aquainting myself with the website and course material, I realized that I needed different glasses for working at the computer. My regular glasses are trifocals and work really well for my life in general but when staring at a computer monitor for any length of time I found that it was the narrow middle piece of the lenses that I was trying to look through to see the screen. So I checked with my Optical office about getting the middle prescription lenses put into my old frames. $150.00! And not covered by my medical....what to do... what to do...

Made a deal with the optician to pay $50.00 per month. Yes! So now I have computer glasses and no headache and only two payments to go.

Now I'm working through Modules One, Two and Three in bits and pieces until my payday at the end of March, when I can get some printer ink and paper, and print out some of the worksheets that I want to ponder over with pen and paper.

That's enough intro for today, more tomorrow...

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?