Thursday, March 30, 2006

High Mesa Cardigan

This is the cardigan that I used as a winter jacket this year. I made it as part of the Knit-Along (KAL) on the Ample Knitters List last winter (Jan. 2005). I decided this morning that I should take some photos (only six months after completion). It was really difficult to capture the patterning on the front and back.

I knit this sweater with some Bouquet 4 ply Polar bulky weight 100% wool yarn that was waiting patiently in my stash for the right project to come along. I followed the pattern pretty much as written except I increased along the sides to accommodate my larger hips. The finished measurements ended up being 59" at the bust and 65" at the hip. I fulled the completed sweater just a little to make it more wind and weather proof then took it to my favourite seamstress and had her put in a heavy-duty two-way zipper. When I'm sitting on my scooter I can zip it up all the way and unzip a little from the bottom so the sweater doesn't make a huge bulge in front. I've got enough tummy of my own I don't need to make it look larger and it also keeps my legs warmer when it lies flat.

I also made myself a felted hat to go with my sweater. You can see me in my ensemble as I ride the lift into the HandyDART bus on my way home from the pool. I go to the pool four times a week and spend an hour doing my exercises.

Well, time to go and knit on my socks and plan my next knitting adventure! I have some Butterfly Super 10 cotton in a pretty coral colour that might make a nice summer weight High Mesa Cardigan.

Comments:
It's gorgeous, Cyndi! Thanks for sharing the photos. It's terrific to see what you're up to.
 
Great Cyndi! You put in a zipper???
I got a lot of wear out of mine this winter. We chose similar colors.
http://mindblogglings.blogspot.com/2006/01/high-mesa-cardigan_20.html
 
Hey Nancilyn, love the colour! Yes, I put a zipper in mine cause buttons always seem to leave little gaps for the wind to go through. But, I do like the buttons you chose for your sweater though. I want to make a cotton one for this spring/summer and haven't decided whether to go with buttons or a zipper. Talk to you soon.
 
You look great Cyndi, with the hat and sweater and going out on the town. Keep up the good work on the knitting.

Andrea
http://funkyewe.blogspot.com
 
Hi

Love the cardigan, have the pattern in my to do list.
 
That looks terrific on you! I love how you shaped the hip wider - I've been trying to convince some of my bottom-heavy friends to do an A-line, but noone believes me that it doesn't look like a tent, it REDUCES the tent look. EVEN WITH the dropped shoulders. I'm going to use your pic to illustrate. You did a great job!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?